Thursday, July 23, 2015

Questions...

Why are we all in a hurry?  Just because we can communicate in an instant does that mean we always should?  Do we think before we speak?  Do we realize the power of our words and the impact of them?

These are just some of the of the questions I have been reflecting on this summer.  I can't claim  that I have come up with any earth shattering answers.  What I did notice is for the first time in eleven summers, when my principal's summer newsletter arrived, I didn't have my usual bittersweet response.  I didn't start to mourn the end of my summer break.  Instead, I thought how grateful I am to be a teacher.  

What's different?  I have connected with more educators than I can list.  My iPad beeps every day with notifications.  Those notifications are a tangible reminder that these educators, my PLN, are pulling for me.  These educators understand the challenges I face on a daily basis.   These educators ask themselves how are we going to put the fun back into education.  These educators have also wondered why it's so hard to teach children to read, write, add, and make a positive difference in this world.

When I am discouraged, one teacher reminds me that I am stronger than I know.  When I am feeling lost, another teacher reminds me that I've got this and that I'm a lioness.  When I can't find the answer I am searching for, another teacher listens, ATTENTIVELY.  Note I said attentively.  When I don't know how to respond to someone who disagrees with me, another educator makes me laugh and helps me to respond with kindness and respect.

This past January many educators were choosing one little word.  One word to focus on to affect positive change.  I chose hope.  Rather hope chose me.  Because of these remarkable edu heroes who lift me up every day, I have hope.  They remind me of the One True Hope, my Heavenly Father, who created me to teach.

Today I am thinking I would like a second little word for 2015.  I plan to carry this one with me continuously.  Have you figured out what that word is?  

One of my first grade girls this past year said to me "But Miss Deem, I thought teachers had all the answers."  Because I am blessed to teach in a Catholic school, I was grateful I didn't have to filter my response.  My answer to her was, "I don't have all the answers, but I will do everything I can to help you find the answers you are looking for.  Only God has all the answers."

That second little word for 2015...I promise to reveal it the next time we connect.  Thank you all for encouraging me to be me, my best me, and for the laughter, wisdom, strategies, and truth you share with me daily.

Special thanks to my friend @ShiftParadigm for the photographic inspiration.


2 comments:

  1. Ellen, it is so wonderful how God always knows what we need. Sounds like you have made many meaningful connections. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and connect. I need to write more often. Writing reminds me of how much God blesses me even when I'm not remembering to thank Him. Hope you are having a great summer!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You, Tim Allen

Last fall I was unexpectedly hospitalized twice, resulting in a three and a half month absence from work. I needed a difficult surgery which...