Monday, September 7, 2015

Listen to the Music, Ellen...

It all started with a song.  My affection for Canada geese is the fault of two friends from Montana who make musical masterpieces.

When I first heard Chris Cunningham and Johnny Hermanson sing Steady On, I knew I was experiencing something special.  I knew I would always remember this song.  For me this song paints a breathtaking portrait.  Their description of Canada geese speaks to the teacher in me.  Every time I see a gaggle, I hear this song in my head.  I stare in awe.  I stop every time I see geese regardless of what I am doing or where I am heading. My destination takes a back seat to my journey when I hear their honking.

Some of my friends don't understand my fascination with geese.  They only see the mess geese create.  They don't see the beauty of teamwork or hear the music of collaboration I experience every time I see that uppercase V glide across the sky.  

Every May new families of geese spend time at our school.  I always seem to run into these family processions at just the right time.  Those moments when I need to be reminded that I'm not alone, that I'm part of a team, and that it's all about the children I teach and not about the to do list I'm reviewing in my head.  This year I have been blessed with geese encounters well into our new school year.

It's not lost on me that my first graders constantly remind me of the beauty and strength of that V formation.  They are my gaggle.  They give me strength every day to keep flying and remind me to stop and stare in awe.  My first graders remind me daily to make time to dance.  They remind me to make time to listen to the music.  My first graders remind me of the importance of our journey.  My first graders remind me daily to be grateful to our Creator.
How did I spend my Labor Day?  Listening to my niece and nephew make music:)

Do yourself a favor and search Storyhill on YouTube.  Chris and Johnny have many more musical treasures there just waiting for you to discover them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You, Tim Allen

Last fall I was unexpectedly hospitalized twice, resulting in a three and a half month absence from work. I needed a difficult surgery which...