Sunday, August 21, 2016

Slow and Steady, Ellen

I was driving home from a friend's house after dark. What I thought was a rock in the middle of the road turned out to be a turtle.  I pulled over, put my hazards on, and decided to get a closer look.  As I was checking out the turtle, trying to determine if he was alive or dead, or inclined to bite me, several cars sped right past me.  Before I mustered up the courage to pick up the turtle, a young man of college age stopped and asked me what was wrong.  I told him I was trying to determine how best to help the turtle get to safety.  He got out of his car, picked up the turtle without hesitation and put him on the grass on the other side of the road.  Before I could thank him he was gone.


At the time I thought this is exactly like it is for some of my students.  Sometimes they get stuck in the middle of the road.  Despite my best efforts I am unable to help them continue their learning journey without outside help.  Today I see myself in that turtle.  My car has been serviced four times in the last two weeks, and I am out of resources to fix it.  I am grateful for my friends and family who have rallied to help Ellen during this bump in her journey, but I would be lying if I didn't say at times I am very discouraged.

Strangely, though, this experience has also reminded me of some unshakable truths.  My life is completely in God's Hands.  All that I have comes from HIM.


I can walk to work, I have a pool in my backyard so I can still swim even though I can't get to the gym at the moment, and I can walk to the store.  Every time someone stops to ask me how I'm doing, that person has offered to help me.

I struggle with accepting help at times. This experience has reminded me that we all need each other's help.  I am choosing daily to think positively despite how impatient I am to have reliable transportation again.

So on this Sunday before I start my new school year, this turtle is doing her best to patiently wait for the right person to help her get back on the road again.  Thanks to all who are lifting me up during this bump in the road.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You, Tim Allen

Last fall I was unexpectedly hospitalized twice, resulting in a three and a half month absence from work. I needed a difficult surgery which...