Saturday, April 8, 2017

Why Baseball, Ellen?

It all started with my Dad.  It was April, and the Phillies were playing my Dad's beloved Cubs.  As we watched the game on our 13 inch black and white TV, my Dad said, "Ellen, who do you think is going to win?"  It was early in the game, and the Phillies were behind 13 to 2.  Greg Luzinski was at the plate.  I replied, "Dad, I think the Phillies are."  And win they did.  They came from behind and beat the Cubs 18-16 in extra innings.  That was the day I became a Phillie Phan. Though my Mom never caught the baseball bug like the rest of us, I know it gave her joy to see me rooting for her hometown team.

Baseball has remained a cherished past-time throughout my life. When I am at a game, I remember how much my brother and I loved watching games with my Dad. Baseball is a great way to celebrate my Dad's memory.  Baseball is an interest that my brother and I still share.  We've been able to share our love of baseball with his children, my niece and nephews. Baseball has connected me with new friends. Baseball has opened the door for me to have good conversations with teachers on Twitter about education.  Baseball is a way for me to relax during the two most challenging times of the school year: the beginning and the end.  Baseball is also a way for me to connect with my students. Baseball gives me great analogies for teaching my students about teamwork and character. I'm inspired by the stories of baseball players.  I love watching them pursue their dreams as they make their way from minor to major league teams.  I love when players are good examples for my students.

What lessons from baseball have made me a better teacher, lifelong learner, and person?  I get to explore the answers to those questions this week.  Two of my favorite passions: baseball and education are on deck for this week's #whatisschool.  Please join +Mark Weston @ShiftParadigm and me at the "ballpark" on Thursday, April 13, at 7pm EDT to cheer for the home team.


P.S. As I was writing this the Phillies scored 12 runs in the first inning:) Today might just turn out to be another monumental day for this Phillie Phan:)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You, Tim Allen

Last fall I was unexpectedly hospitalized twice, resulting in a three and a half month absence from work. I needed a difficult surgery which...