Sunday, April 10, 2016

Dear Ryan Howard,

I knew the first time I went to Spring Training that I would always cheer for you.  I watched you handle all fans, especially the overzealous ones, with great grace and patience.  I wondered about the countless hours of hard work that had brought you to that moment.  The player I saw that day knew he was blessed to play baseball.  The person I saw that day made a permanent positive impression on this lifelong Phillies fan.

My first graders and I have been enjoying reading your Little Rhino series.  We are in the middle of Book 2, and they comment every time we read about Dylan.  They really want the two of you to end up friends.  You and your wife have done such a wonderful job writing these books.  I hope you have plans to add to the series because my students absolutely love them.  It has been such a treat for me to share a children's book series that incorporates my love of baseball and even more my love of my Phillies. 

This is one of the toughest times of the year for teachers.  It's the little things that keep you going, and for me sharing your story has been a bright light amidst all that we have to do during this last quarter.  When a large envelope shows up from a Catholic School in North Carolina for you at Citizen's Bank Park, you'll know it's from my students.

Thank you again for telling your story.  Go Phillies!

Your friend,

Ellen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You, Tim Allen

Last fall I was unexpectedly hospitalized twice, resulting in a three and a half month absence from work. I needed a difficult surgery which...