Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Hope Leads to Joy


                                            


It took 10 minutes, several attempts to troubleshoot, and then an idea popped into my head.  "Right click on the yellow lines, Ellen."  I don't know how it happened, but my laptop speaker settings had been switched, and we weren't able to hear the kids. Right clicking on the yellow lines allowed us to not only wave at our friends in Uganda, but we were now able to hear them.  Worrying about our Skype connection had done me no good.  Listening to the still small voice in my head opened our communication lines.



We had 20 joy filled minutes of questions and answers, sharing art work, and laughter.  The highlight of our conversation was getting to see our friends' chickens.  The sight and sound of chickens clucking on another continent brought us all closer together.  Our service efforts took on a whole new meaning.  Now when my students are doing extra chores at home they are working to help their friends.  Our service project went from being an idea to being a friendship.  Each time I experience these Skypes with my students, I am moved at how this technology provides my students opportunities they never would have had before.

I'm excited to see what joy our next 2 Skypes will bring.  This remains the most important connection God has given me as a result of my PLN.  I can think of no better way to teach my students about the continent of Africa then to give them the means to make friends with these children.  If you are interested in learning more about this service opportunity, please go to www.chattothefuture.ca.  You can also follow @ChattotheFuture on Twitter.






4 comments:

Thank You, Tim Allen

Last fall I was unexpectedly hospitalized twice, resulting in a three and a half month absence from work. I needed a difficult surgery which...