Sunday, January 15, 2017

What Print Will Your Paws Make?

"What print will your paws make?" It's been our PTO's slogan for the last two years.  (Our school mascot is a wildcat.). Lately I have heard it in my head as often as I hear my first graders say my name.  Those of you who teach K-2 can appreciate how many times that is:)

Since writing my last post I've been thinking a lot about various people who have impacted me for life.  I was reminded of my friend Tese's impact on my life today when I was talking to my brother. As I mentioned in my last post, Tese passed away far too early from leukemia. My brother lost one of his best friends from high school this weekend to liver disease. Listening to my brother process the loss of his friend and reflecting on how much I still miss Tese, I am reminded that there are no guarantees.  We only have today.

"What kind of print am I making on the people I meet today?"

I struggle with answering that question sometimes.  When I'm facing the every day challenges teaching presents, I wonder if I'm doing everything possible to make a positive print on my students. I wonder if I've consistently encouraged my students to shine their light, to help others, to empathize, and to make a lasting positive impression on the people they meet.

For the past two school years my first graders were blessed with the opportunity to help our @chattothefuture friends in Uganda.  Skyping with the children in Kampala impacted all our hearts. When I realized that we weren't going to be able to help those children because the organization was going through some transitions and didn't need our assistance, I knew I wanted to find another way to continue this kind of service project with my first graders.

This past week I spoke with Lindsay Pigford from the Kula Project.  My students will be helping families in Rwanda.  I have been following the work of the Kula Project for a couple years now, and I'm excited to see what connections and growth will come from introducing my first graders to this organization.

This video gives you a glimpse into the Kula Project's mission.



If you are trying to find service opportunities for your students I encourage you to check out www.kulaproject.org.  I'll keep you posted on my first graders' efforts.

As always, thanks so much for reading.

Ellen


4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful "print" you are leaving on your students! Teaching them compassion and to give of themselves is a gift that you are giving them as well. Our lives are so much richer when we give away ourselves to others. They may not realize it now, but they are very lucky children to have such an opportunity. Thank you for making it happen for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of shifting circumstances for the better! Looking forward to updates from you and your firsties on your new connections!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing, Ellen. Sounds like you're making a real difference with your students as well as halfway around the world.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You, Tim Allen

Last fall I was unexpectedly hospitalized twice, resulting in a three and a half month absence from work. I needed a difficult surgery which...