Monday, January 16, 2017

How Do I Let My Light Shine?

Tomorrow I will be teaching my first graders about Martin Luther King Jr., and asking them what their dreams are.  

As I think about teaching this lesson tomorrow, I'm reflecting on a dream of mine.  I started dreaming of this last summer when I had the opportunity to meet more of my global Twitter teacher contacts at ISTE.  I have been hesitant to put this dream in writing because I don't know where to start in figuring out if it's possible or not.

Today I've decided to take a leap, and ask some questions, and see what feedback I receive.  I am hoping for some light, some direction, and good counsel.

I would like to collaborate in person with teachers I've connected with in other countries.  I realize that this will be a major financial challenge, and it could take me two years to save.  I need to connect with administrators in these schools to see if they would be open to me visiting their schools and working with their teachers.

What I would like to learn is how teachers in other countries personalize learning for their students.  I would also like to see what service projects students in other countries are working on and share with them my students' experience with service.  Long term I hope that my travels would further connect my own students with more classes globally.

I've grown so much from the support of the educators in my PLN.  When I've had the opportunity to meet these educators face to face it has strengthened our connections.  I'm dreaming of meeting their students and having conversations that extend beyond a convention center lobby or conference session.

So, PLN, I'm asking for your thoughts, feedback, and suggestions.  Please direct message me on Twitter if you have any ideas on how to help me make this dream a reality.

I'm so grateful for your wisdom, humor, and daily support of me and my students.  Thanks for shining your light on my calling.

Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You, Tim Allen

Last fall I was unexpectedly hospitalized twice, resulting in a three and a half month absence from work. I needed a difficult surgery which...