Sunday, March 19, 2017

My Old Friend...

Tomorrow I have to say goodbye to an old friend.

This friend has helped me to stretch.  This friend has connected me with opportunities to serve the needs of others.  This friend has made me laugh. This friend has brought me joy and introduced me to more new friends than I could have ever made on my own.  This friend has made me a better teacher. This friend has made me a stronger person.  This friend has inspired me to keep going on days when I felt stuck.  This friend has changed my thinking.  This friend has taught me to question and to grow even when I'm uncomfortable doing so.

This friend has shown me the limitless possibilities that await my students, my fellow educators, and me.  This friend has expanded my story more than I ever could have imagined. 

At this point you're probably thinking, "Just introduce us already, Ellen."

No, it's not a Peanuts character...


Yes, my PLN friends, I am talking about my school iPad2.  




This tool has connected me with more opportunities to grow than I could possibly list let alone describe in detail in one blog post.  When I reflect on those of you who I have had the privilege to meet in person, consider this post a long distance bear hug.  Those of you I have yet to meet, consider this post a long distance bear hug as well.  

Because of you, my students have seen more of the world and met students, teachers, authors, and experts they never would have otherwise.  Because of you future possibilities are bigger than this teacher ever imagined before.

I can't help wondering how my old friend will change the lives of the students it goes to next.  How will my old friend expand their stories?  How will my old friend help them to grow, explore, leap, and dream?  

In the event you've been wondering about my students and their efforts to help the Kula Project, let me give you a quick update.  My first graders are in the process of writing letters to their new friends in Rwanda. Each week when I least expect it, my students hand me dollars from their piggy banks, coins from their lunch money, and portions of their allowances.  They are honoring each other's random acts of kindness by giving to their new friends across the ocean. In the midst of their struggle with Spring Fever (or what I like to call my March Madness), they are still remembering to help. They humble me daily.  Their generosity inspires me to give more.

For me, technology's greatest asset is its ability to connect me with innovative educators around the world. Who brings light to your life through the window of technology?  


As always, thanks so much for reading.

Ellen






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You, Tim Allen

Last fall I was unexpectedly hospitalized twice, resulting in a three and a half month absence from work. I needed a difficult surgery which...