Saturday, March 11, 2017

Why I Tweet...

I've been thinking a great deal about my story lately.  Who has impacted my life?  Who has encouraged me to keep dreaming and growing?  Who has seen me through my toughest losses?  Who continues to push me to be the best version of me?  One person that has been in every chapter of my life is my friend Lori.

Lori and I met when I was 5, and she was 4.  We lived in the same neighborhood of townhouses.  We attended the same ballet class, and we were in Brownies together.  We spent our days creating stories with our dolls, and playing baseball with our brothers.  We explored the woods that were close to our neighborhood, and we put on shows for our friends.  Our childhood was full of adventures.  





When Lori's family moved away, we wrote letters to each other.  We visited each other when possible through high school.  We continued to correspond through college and graduate school.  We shared stories of our adventures.  I was unable to attend Lori's wedding so I first met her husband and daughters through her letters. Distance didn't prevent us from listening to each other.  I looked forward to Lori's Christmas card every year.  Even though we weren't able to visit in person, we continued to encourage and support each other.  We continued to play a part in each other's lives.

In April 2007, Lori and I had the opportunity to reconnect.  Our reunion was one of the most wonderful moments of my life.  Neither one of us could believe that twenty years had passed since we had seen each other.   Because of our correspondence, it felt like we had only been apart for a few months.  Lori's friendship has taught me again and again the importance of written communication.  Lori was one of the first people to show me how words connect us.  Our stories are not limited by time and distance.  Lori taught me how important it is to speak from and to listen with my whole heart.


I found myself thinking a lot about my friendship with Lori while I was at NCTIES last week.  The connections I have made with other educators through tweeting have created endless possibilities for my teaching.  Tweeting has become my current method of letter writing.  Attending NCTIES would give me the chance to see some of those educators in person.  

For two days I had the privilege of learning from other North Carolina educators.  As I trekked through the Raleigh Convention Center attending sessions, connecting with teachers, and looking for the best places to get a snack, I had lots of time to reflect.  I had the opportunity to hear a lot of stories from other teachers.  I realized that technology has expanded our ability to positively impact each other.  Technology has expanded the realm of possibility for our students.  I thought of the many educators who I have never met in person whose support I feel daily.  The more educators I have the courage to share my story with the more I grow.  The more we all share our stories, the more we discover points and experiences that connect us.  We find that our struggles and dreams are similar.  We are reminded that we are not alone in our efforts to make education better for all students. 

One of the sessions I attended was Go Global! Amy Judd and Cheryl McCrorey presented strategies for connecting students globally. While I was in this session I was surprised to find the class we were Mystery Skyping with was taught by Elisa Waingort.  I had communicated with Elisa on numerous occasions through Twitter.  Seeing her students enjoying the Mystery Number Skype was a highlight of the conference for me.  It reiterated for me the value and importance of connecting for my students.

Another highlight of the conference for me was having dinner with Elizabeth Chapman.  Elizabeth and I first connected through Twitter, but we met in person for the first time at NCTIES Elizabeth and I teach in the same state, but we probably never would have crossed paths if it weren't for the power of our Professional Learning Network.  Meeting Elizabeth was like reconnecting with an old friend.  Having the opportunity to hear more of her story of how she became an educator was a privilege.  

 
Before our dinner, Elizabeth and I met keynote speaker George Couros.  I was not surprised to discover how funny and approachable he is in person.  His genuine commitment to empowering  educators resonated with me. The other teachers from my school discovered the same thing when they ran into him later that evening.  Thanks to George, I think they have a better picture of why Twitter is so important to me.  His message showed them firsthand how being a connected educator can greatly improve your teaching.  I bought his book The Innovator's Mindset on the way to dinner.  George Couros made the point several times during his conference presentations that sometimes you just need to watch a cat video.  Making time to rest and to laugh makes you more productive.  Truth be told, I haven't made time to rest lately.  I needed a new voice to remind me again of the importance of balance in my life.  I needed to hear his message of encouragement.  The connections we make with other educators are more valuable than any other resource.

I think it was during his keynote that George Couros mentioned that because of technology, we are always able to find other educators to help us grow and improve our teaching.  We are no longer isolated unless we chose to be.  This point really resonated with me.  Because of my PLN, my possibilities for growth are infinite.

The session that stuck with me the most was presented by another friend from Twitter.  I first met Mandy Casto through a morning educator spark chat called #bfc530.  Mandy and her colleague Kim Harris presented Teaching Outside the Digital Toolbox.  I'm excited to explore the tools they presented and see which ones will work best for my students.

NCTIES also presented me with the opportunity to learn with other teachers from my school and another school in our diocese.  Their excitement, enthusiasm, and humor made learning more fun. I also had the opportunity to reconnect with my friend Patty Fischer who is just about to finish her first year as an assistant principal.  Talking with her about goals for my students and for my future was thought provoking and encouraging.  I told her it was like coming home.  We don't work in the same school anymore, but we are still cheering each other on in our educational journeys.


What was the most important thing I learned while at NCTIES?  Just like Lori, my educator friends are now treasured sources of support and guidance for me.  I need to make time for connecting with them, and I can't forget the importance of balance in my life.  I can't imagine my life without Lori, and I can't imagine my life without my PLN.  

As I was processing all that I learned and experienced last week, I received an unexpected text from Lori.  She had a last minute opportunity to go on a research trip to Egypt.  When I woke up that morning, I never expected to see a photo of my friend in front of Egyptian pyramids.  Talk about adventures!  What adventure is next for me?  Time to explore the possibilities...






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You, Tim Allen

Last fall I was unexpectedly hospitalized twice, resulting in a three and a half month absence from work. I needed a difficult surgery which...