Saturday, July 28, 2018

Dear Doc,

I've accepted my struggle with putting into words how Roy Halladay inspired me to be a better teacher.  I started this post back in November shortly after his passing.  I miss this man's presence in the game that I love so much, and I have decided it's okay that my post is unfinished.  My prayers remain with his wife, sons, and loved ones.  

November 2017

Dear Doc,

Tuesday was a tiring day for me.  I came home tired and grumpy and knew I needed to change my attitude.  After school I went home to change into more comfortable clothes before going to dog sit.  When I opened my closet full of Phillies shirts I decided I needed to channel you, follow your example, and improve my mindset.  I put on my Halladay shirt and got in my car to drive to my pet sitting job.  Before I started my car, my phone rang.  My friend Mark was calling to find out if I had heard the news.  He was the first to tell me that you had passed away that afternoon in a plane crash.  As the afternoon turned into evening, more friends and family members called and texted to make sure that I knew, and to share memories of you. 





July 28, 2018

I started this post back in November.  I still don't feel like I have the right words to describe how much you inspired me to be a better teacher.  I was blessed to be in the just the right time and place to take these two pictures.  I always wished I could have given them to you, but in hindsight I realize I needed to share them with Phillies Phans.  I took the top picture in Pittsburgh in 2012 during batting practice.  When I look at it I see one of my favorite players contemplating his gift.  I've looked at it countless times to remind me that teaching is my gift.  I took the bottom picture in Atlanta in 2013.  It was the only time I was present to see you pitch in person.  It was a rough day for you.  What I remember most is watching you warm up and seeing how hard you fought that day.  My niece and nephew were excited to see you pitch in person despite, the cold, the rain, and the score.  They even drew me pictures of you after the game. 

I miss seeing you pitch.  I miss seeing you encouraging and mentoring younger pitchers during Spring Training.  

I'm grateful for your example, Doc.  My prayers remain with your family and loved ones.


Ellen












No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You, Tim Allen

Last fall I was unexpectedly hospitalized twice, resulting in a three and a half month absence from work. I needed a difficult surgery which...