Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Welcome to Our Neighborhood!






Dear 1-D Parents,

I'm so happy to have the privilege of teaching your children for the 2018-2019 school year.  I thought it might be helpful to put my parenting resources in a blog post this year so you would have access to them on your phone.

One of the smartest decisions I made this summer was to go see the Mr. Rogers documentary.  That film rejuvenated me in more ways than I can describe.  I was reminded of when I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Rogers in college.  I was so nervous when I approached him to ask for his autograph for my cousin.  Since this was long before smart phones, I have no photographs to commemorate this moment.  What I remember most was his kindness.  He took my cousin's address and sent him an autographed photo and a letter.  He was exactly who he presented himself to be on television.  I realized two things this week in reflecting on this moment.  First, I want my first graders to be as comfortable as he was with who God has created them to be.  Second, Mr. Rogers planted a seed that day.  God used Mr. Rogers to start me on my journey towards teaching.  I just didn't know it at the time.  If you haven't already done so, please see Won't You Be My Neighbor?

http://focusfeatures.com/wont-you-be-my-neighbor/




Here are some of the books I've read and am currently reading that I think would be helpful:



Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever



http://www.reclaimingconversationbook.com/


Image result for reclaiming conversation









scc_book


This website is a very helpful parenting resource: http://www.familiesmanagingmedia.com/


Our service project supports families in Rwanda.  Please visit their website to learn more about who your children will be helping.



We are working on being good neighbors in 1-D.  We have been enjoying ending our day watching clips from Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.  

Our time together will fly.  Know that I cherish each day with your children and look forward to working with you this year.

Sincerely,

Miss Deem


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You, Tim Allen

Last fall I was unexpectedly hospitalized twice, resulting in a three and a half month absence from work. I needed a difficult surgery which...