Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Dear Bret Boone,

I grew up in the Chicago suburbs.  My Dad loved baseball and enjoyed sharing his love for his Cubs with my brother and me. 

One day my Dad and I were watching the Phillies play the Cubs on our 13 inch black and white television.  The Phillies were behind 13-2, and I think it was the second inning. Greg Luzinski was up to bat.  My Dad asked me, "Who do you think is going to win, Ellen?"  Without hesitation I said, "I think the Phillies are going to win, Dad."  

They won in extra innings that day, 18-16, and I have been a Phillies fan ever since. Thanks to Google, I know that day was April 17, 1976.  From that moment on, my Mom and I cheered for her hometown Phillies, and my Dad and brother continued to cheer for their Cubs.  

On special occasions we got to see games at Wrigley Field.  I don't remember any statistics from those games.  I do recall Ernie Banks smiling at us on the cover of every scorecard, my Dad teaching us how to keep score, and crying if the Phillies lost.  My Dad would hug me and reassure me that it wasn't the end of the world.  

One time he got us seats by the Phillies bullpen.  Some Cubs fans were teasing Tug McGraw about a recent aftershave commercial he had done.  I got mad and yelled at them and told them to leave my Tug alone.  I will never forget Tug McGraw winking at me when my Dad got me to sit back down.  I also remember watching Ron Reed warm up that day and thinking he must be as tall as a giant.

When the Phillies won the series in 1980, our Philadelphia family members sent me clippings and other souvenirs.  My Mom made signs celebrating the Phillies with Peanuts characters.  I was so excited to see pictures of all my favorite players and read about them.  I recall being upset when I discovered many years later that those clippings had disintegrated.  Fortunately, my original stuffed Phanatic from 1980 did survive my many moves:)

I started reading your book earlier this week, and I couldn't put it down.  For the two days I spent reading it, I was a child in Chicago again, my parents were still healthy, and I got lost in the inside stories of the Boone family.  It was the most wonderful respite for me.  I enjoyed your descriptions of your family relationships the most.  I believe this book isn't just a must read for Phillies fans.  Your book is a must read for anyone who truly loves the game of baseball.  I can't thank you enough for writing it.  I will continue to spread the good word about your story.

Please thank your brother and your Dad for me for being part of so many families' baseball stories.  While I was reading it, I really felt like I knew your Grandfather, too.

I am tagging many of my teacher friends who love baseball with the hope that they have the opportunity to read it this summer as well.

Thanks again. 

Your friend in North Carolina,

Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You, Tim Allen

Last fall I was unexpectedly hospitalized twice, resulting in a three and a half month absence from work. I needed a difficult surgery which...