Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Happy Offseason!

The Cubs were coming to Atlanta.  My niece and nephew had never seen their Dad's Cubs in person.  My brother, niece, and nephew have been to several Phillies games with me in the last few years, and we watch our local triple A team, the Charlotte Knights, whenever possible. This would be their first experience watching their Dad's Cubs.

We piled into the car early Saturday with the intent of getting ahead of Atlanta traffic.  We were hoping to get a few autographs before the game, and I was hoping to get enough great shots of the Cubs that I could make them a Cubs photo book.

The June sun made the minutes we waited to see players seem like they were in slow motion.  The kids waited with their sharpies and their baseballs and were blessed with signatures from Kyle Hendricks and Tim Federowicz.  When my brother and the kids decided to go to their seats, I went over to left field so I could take some pictures of the starting pitcher and catcher before the game.  Unlike the rainy day we were at Turner Field to see one of my favorite pitchers, Roy Halladay, today we had blue sky and bright sunshine to see one of my brother's favorite pitchers, Jake Arrieta.  

Despite the heat we had a blast enjoying the game.  The Cubs won, I got lots of great pictures, and we enjoyed our hot dogs and popcorn.  It was pretty awesome to carry on the family tradition of baseball.

I have always loved baseball because it connects my past to my present and gives me moments to look forward to in my future.  I have loved the memories my brother and I share of baseball with my Dad before he got cancer, and that we get to share our love of baseball with his children.  I love the stories of players and their struggles and their triumphs.  I love that every time I turn around I make a new friend because of baseball.  I love that I get to combine baseball with my love of photography and share my photos with others.  Baseball allows me to forget all my concerns for a short while and get lost in the story of the game.  Baseball helps this teacher keep balance in her life.

I have always loved watching the pitchers because they direct the game.  The teacher in me can relate to the pressures they face.  I admire their strategy, confidence, and perseverance.  They have to keep track of multiple situations at the same time, and their success depends on how well their teammates support their efforts.  I admire their ability to adapt to change.  I admire their ability to learn from their mistakes.  

My goal every day when I walk into my classroom is to teach with major league effort.  I also have learned the importance of the offseason.  I wish all my teacher friends an awesome offseason!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You, Tim Allen

Last fall I was unexpectedly hospitalized twice, resulting in a three and a half month absence from work. I needed a difficult surgery which...