Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Dear Phillippe Aumont,

It is April 3, 2013.  My brother, niece, nephew, and I are making our way on a cloudy and chilly day to Turner Field.  It's my niece and nephew's first major league game.  I'm excited beyond measure because my memories of going to Wrigley with my Dad and my brother are some of my most cherished.  I can't wait for my niece and nephew to experience similar adventures with their Dad.  I know I will take a bazillion pictures...I'm always on a mission to get that one amazing shot.  I dream of sharing those pictures with Phillies charities one day.  

The four of us park, equipped with our rain gear and full of anticipation.  We know rain is a possibility, but we remain optimistic.  We stop to take pictures by Greg Maddux's number because my brother has been a Cubs fan his whole life.  Then we purchase our tickets and enter the stadium.  I pull out my camera as we approach the left field wall.  Our jaws drop in awe.  My hands are shaking.  When I am at the ballpark, my 9 year old self, who first became a Phillies fan because of Greg Luzinski, can't process her excitement.  At times, I can't even speak because I can't believe I'm watching my favorite team in person.  I start clicking away, amazed that so many of my favorite players are here.  

I think the teacher in me has always loved watching the pitchers the most.  I appreciate their ability to lead the game, their strategy for each batter, and the strength they exhibit in all circumstances.  I am inspired by their perseverance.

My niece and nephew are just happy to be here, holding their gloves, and taking in the beauty of the field and all the activity.  Because I am like a kid at Disney taking my pictures, forgetting my own problems, I don't see that you have thrown me a ball.  I drop the ball.  Before I have time to process that I have missed this opportunity to give my niece and nephew an amazing souvenir, you come back and throw me the ball again.  Thankfully, this time I caught it.  I am sure you have done this countless times in your career, but on that day, you made a lifelong memory for my niece and nephew.  I will never forget the looks on their faces. I can never thank you enough for giving me a second chance to catch that ball.



The Phillies didn't win that day.  We were so excited to see Roy Halladay, and we hoped he felt our support despite his struggles.  The rain at times was relentless, but we laughed ourselves silly.  We were excited when Chase Utley hit a home run, and I was thrilled to have the chance to thank Gregg Murphy in person for his efforts and the other broadcasters' efforts to bring the Phillies home to fans each game.

My niece noticed as soon as she looked at her program that she was born on your birthday.  Both of the kids drew me pictures when we returned to our friends' home where we were staying in Atlanta.  My nephew drew a picture of Roy Halladay, and my niece drew a picture of all the Phillies, including you, lining up to talk with the two of us.  



When I heard this Spring that the White Sox had signed you I was thrilled that I would have the chance to see you pitch again as a Charlotte Knight.  I made the mistake of assuming I would have the chance to thank you in person this summer.  

I am also grateful for the conversation we had a year later when I gave you pictures my first graders had drawn when you were an Ironpig.  You helped me get over my Phillies jitters that day.

I will always be a Phillippe Aumont fan.  I am confident that whatever God has planned for you next, you are going to be a positive influence on all those who cross your path. Thanks for all you did for the Phillies and for baseball.

Your friend in North Carolina,

Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You, Tim Allen

Last fall I was unexpectedly hospitalized twice, resulting in a three and a half month absence from work. I needed a difficult surgery which...